The music and the background score for the film was composed by A. R. Rahman. The soundtrack’s original version has lyrics penned by Irshad Kamil whereas the Tamil version by Vairamuthu. In an interview with Hindustan Times, Rahman stated that he had emphasized the folk-classical genre in music as the film brings out a fascination for Benarasthrough the music and hence, most of the songs are character driven.
The soundtrack album composition was completed by early March 2013. In all, the soundtrack album has nine original tracks.
The music of the original version of the soundtrack was released on the co-branded record labels Sony Music and Eros Music. on May 31, 2013 and the Tamil version on June 19, 2013.
The soundtrack received general positive critical reception.
- Raanjhnaa Hua Mein tera – [Jaswinder Singh & Shiraz Uppal]
- Banarasiya – [Shreya Ghoshal]
- Piya Milenge – [Sukhwinder Singh , Kmmc Sufi Ensemble]
- Ay Sakhi – [Madhushree , Chinmayi ,Vaishali ,Aanchal Sethi]
- Nazar Laaye – [Rashid Ali , Neeti Mohan]
- Tu Mun Shudi – [A.R. Rahman & Rabbi Shergill]
- Aise Na Dekho – [A.R. Rahman]
- The Land Of Shiva – [A.R. Rahman]
- Tum Tak – [Javed Ali , Kirti Sagathia]